You probably saw a production model not a prototype, since it actually made it to production.

Here's the Luminous Landscape review, clearly stating it's a released product, though the review was posted after the camera was already withdrawn from the market.

http://luminous-landscape.com/contax-n-digital-review/

of course LL is down for maintenance right now, so you'll have to read it later.