On 2/14/2015 3:11 PM, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 14/2/15, Malcolm Smith, discombobulated, unleashed:

For my English Literature 'O' Levels (or whatever the exams are called this
week for those of around 16 years of age), I got a book of short stories. A
few years later, my friend's brother, a few years younger than us, got the
Hitchhiker's Guide. I don't think anyone in his class got anything lower
than a 'B' grade, and most of them, before they knew that would be the book
for the syllabus, could quote whole chunks of the book from memory. Lucky
b*****ds.

Malcolm, in my sophomore year at (American) high school, I did a
semester course called 'Predictive Literature'. It was basically reading
and writing science fiction, and counted towards to overall English
grades required. 6 months of sci-fi! This was 1975/6.

We repatriated in 76 and I was landed into O levels and The Grapes of
bleedin Wrath.......... :-(

Lucky you! We had to read the Scarlet Letter & Moby Dick that year.

... and it was five miles uphill both ways through knee-deep snow!