On 2/14/2015 4:26 PM, J C OConnell wrote:
I was thinking about picking up one of these lenses, they sell for
around $200 used, I already have an excellent
manual focus 35-70 F2.8 AT-X, but 35mm just isnt wide enough especially
on aps format.
I was wondering if anyone here had tried the 28-70 F2.8 AT-X AF and what
the
pros and cons to it were. Thanks in advance. P.S. This is a FF lens.

The f/2.8 Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70mm is the first auto-focus lens I bought
to go along with the PZ-1p that was my first auto-focus SLR.

Within a year of getting the PZ-1p, Pentax came out with the *ist-D. On
APS-C cameras the field of view makes it the equivalent of a 42-105mm
zoom. That's the only real "con" I can think of for that lens; on APS-C
you lose the wide end of the zoom range. I don't think that's going to
be a problem for Pentax's putative Full-Frame DSLR.

Just before I deployed to Iraq in 2004, I dropped the lens damaging the
zoom gear & I had to send it to Tokina for repair. They returned it to
me in Iraq, repaired under warranty & it's been my most frequently used
lens for the last decade.

Since I got a K-3 I've been having a problem where I mount the lens &
the camera displays an error "--" indicating it can't read the aperture.
I sent it to Erik Hendrickson in Knoxville. He didn't find anything
wrong with it so he just cleaned the contacts & checked the AF gears.

Since I got it back, I noticed that the lens only gives the "--" error
when I zoom to 28mm. From about 30mm on up, it works fine. I think the
problem is related to wear in the zoom ring & in the detent that locks
the aperture selector into the 'A' position. I've been thinking about
sending it to Tokina to see if they can/will fix the problem.

It's a great lens. I don't think I've ever seen one offered for sale
since I bought mine.

As an alternative to sending it to Tokina, I've been thinking about
putting in a "wish list" request with KEH to see if I can get another one.