Turns out I had my wires crossed.  The person I know is not being tested; it's
the person they were in contact with who's being tested (and is thus not
necessarily positive).  They'd shown symptoms after returning to Australia so
obviously fit the testing criteria there.

It turns out that sometimes it does pay to listen to your wife.

Cheers,
Dave