Coming out of hibernation.... this is one hell of an interesting thread, but I've not had time to put in my contribution because my time is consumed with various projects. So I'll put in my 0.02 cents worth now.

What more compelling factor in "fixation of belief" is there than the mind-body unity of all the mind-bodies (of our body-cells) that come together in the one mind-body that is "self"?

What about all the little animals (neurons) that are having to contend with their own habits? Surely the group-habits of the cells of which we are composed will establish an "attractor" (chaos theory) that will lock us into fixed ideas until we can get the whole team (of cells) to agree to a new set of habits?

People can incorporate new ideas swiftly, so long as these "new" ideas are not in fact "new", but expressions of an EXISTING logic-set. It's easy to change political opinions, for example, if we know what the different political parties are about - but this understanding of political parties emerges over a long period of time. But step outside of what we know, and the fixation of belief, courtesy of the habits of the critters of which we are comprised, will have a lot of momentum that is not changed easily.

A truly new idea will take some considerable time to emerge, especially within a new logical framework that is establishing itself.

In other words, we are dealing more with the momentum of tornadoes and hurricanes rather than logic-switching of circuits.

That's my 0.02 cents worth. Back to my projects...

Newton's Laws of Emotion:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tramont/biosem.html
There can be no complexity without simplicity.

Stephen Springette