Response to J Kasser (resend)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: peirce-l@lyris.ttu.edu
Sent: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [peirce-l] Re: What "fundamenal psychological laws" is Peirce referring to?

J Kasser says,

"It's not easy to see how Peirce could have considered "the settlement of opinion is the sole object of inquiry" a psychical or a psychological law.  It seems charitable here to see Peirce as writing a bit casually once again and to construe him as meaning that the statement in question is a normative truth more or less forced on us by psychological (i.e. psychical) facts.  But, as the following quote from another of your messages indicates, Peirce was pretty quick to close the is/ought gap with respect to this issue:

The following axiom requires no comment, beyond the remark that it seems often to be forgotten. Where there is no real doubt or disagreement there is no question and can be no real investigation.

So perhaps he really meant that a statement about the aim of iqnuiry could be a (coenscopic) psychological law. " (end)

The question is whether "the settlement of opinion is the sole object of inquiry" is a normative truth or a psychological law. The fact that doubt is a necessary condition for inquiry does not settle this question. It merely suggests what is required for any inquiry to begin.

Peirce does not say "the settlement of inquiry ought to be the sole object of inquiry." Thus, the statement is a generalization about what all (some?) men desire when they inquire. It is the major premise in a practical syllogism. The conclusion is the normative claim that we ought to pursue the scientific method. Maybe there is an implicit premise that we ought to pursue the best method for settling opinion. This might satisfy those concerned with the "naturalistic fallacy."

Peirce overstates his case about his own psychologism.  His statement about the "origin of truth" is unfortunate. He should have spoken of either a "desire for truth"  originating in the impulse to self-consistency or of "belief." In the latter case, it makes perfectly good sense to talk about psychological concepts such as self-control, satisfaction, conviction, habit etc.  The interesting question is whether we can make sense of practical reason and talk of ends and actions without the introduction of psychological concepts.

The problem here has less to do with replacing psychologizing tendencies with phenomenological observations than with using the "intentional idom" to assess practical reason. I have always thought of FOB as an "ethics of inquiry." And unless one wants to try and eliminate the concepts involved in moral psychology, they are always there as a conceptual resource for articulating the normative basis of methodology in the sciences. It appears then, that logical methodology is based on ethics.

Jim W