RE: what is science?
----- Original Message -----
From: Devine, James

Hey, you have a different font!

In reference to my comment on the normal role of intuition (e.g., Einstein)
in science, Ian writes:
>What's the difference between intuition and guess? <

I'm not sure it matters what the difference is.

=======================

It may matter somewhat if we are to discern not only the cognitive processes
of scientists as they try to report to others how they go about working
through various problems, but, further, as a way to get a handle on the
anti-science backlash borne of the 60's and 70's, when intuition was
somewhat romanticized, to borrow a phrase.

Given that there is still a lot of anti-science attitudes in US culture
which completely evades the issue of how science has been totally
subordinated to capitalism for the past 350 years, it would seem to behoove
those of us who wish to see science serve different social agendas along
with concomitant transformations of the psychology of scientists and
anti-scientists alike, t oget a somewhat better handle on how scientists and
philosophers and artists etc. have thought about the distinction. I broached
the question because it was raised in a very serious manner by Bas Van
Fraasen back in the 80's in a symposium dealing with some controversial
issues in the philosophy of science, one of which was the vaunted problem of
induction, the inference to best explanation and their justifications as
methods of organizing scientific data.

>What's the difference between intuition and analysis? When does the one
process leave off and the
other begin in the dynamics of cognition and emotion?<

there seems to be a dialectical "interpenetration of opposites," in which
emotions and cognition condition each other, determining each others'
character (within the social context, of course). The same can be said about
intuition and analysis. But that doesn't say that all of these are one big
mush, so we can jettison logical/empirical analysis, give up trying to
separate cognition and analysis from emotion and intuition, and sit back &
smoke some weed. We should try to be in touch with our emotions (as we say
here in California), but we want our actions and views to be as rational as
possible.

====================

I 'see' them as complements rather than opposites; because if we each harbor
multiple intelligences then we're dealing with issues of pluralism and
coherence as the notions of Self we've gotten from Luther, Descartes, Locke
and Kant as well as many others lose their tennuous grip on Western Culture.
In a related issue, we might still, following Wordsworth, wonder, after
we've separated those processes from 'one another,' what motivates us to
engage in such distinctions as well as what 'ends' they serve.

> From which of the contrasting and possibly complementary terms/processes
do we make the
distinction[s]? And are these differences connected in any way to our
individual and group abilities to perceive/conceive randomness and patterns
within our bodies, societies and space-time?<

I don't understand the above very well. I'd bet that it's easier to deal
with such issues if they were stated in concrete terms (with examples)
rather than dwelling in abstraction.

Fair enough; how does the distinction between intuition and guess help us
with the mathematics of induction and the role of randomness in statistics,
probability theory and information theory as well as the choices we make in
applying them to understanding social phenomena? If intuition is not
reducible to analysis and is not the same as guessing, 'what' is 'it'?

Ian