Greetings Pen-'Ellers,
KGC writes,
But there is an idea floating around geekdom that the Web works (in the
sense that it scales 5B+ documents, something which no one really
expected) because of various purely technological ideas (most of which get
attributed, inaccurately, to Tim Berners-Lee). I want to engage this idea in
my book (for my own nefarious, leftie political reasons) and my publisher is
cool with me doing a bit of "politics of technology".

Me,
Clay Shirky writes about the economics of what makes the web work.  Has some
theories about various ideas floating around about the IT industry that are
a starting place to think about what works and doesn't work about Web
Services, etc.,.

http://www.shirky.com/

Hal Varian writes a column for the NY Times and teaches the economics of
information technology at UC Berkeley.  He may have some specifics for you
to track down about hardware spending versus, software ideas like Tim
Berners-Lee might represent in the public mind.

http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~hal/

Varians University web site.

http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/resources/infoecon/

A site of his that gives research sites for information about the
information economy.

Doug Henwood has a new book out sometime in the next decade (has been
promised for more than a year so far) about the new economy in which he
gives an economic accounting of the basic area you are interested in.

Look up Ian Foster who is chief scientist on the GRID, which is a new
internet like technology for super computing on a large scale.  The cost of
hardware for this project where it is academic related is probably public
information.  Therefore you can get an idea about the relative cost of
building a new internet.  And this system probably is a requirement for the
success of Web Services in the long run, so it gives some insight now of
what Web Services has to bring along to work right.

This question is like asking what Open Source software brings in value to
business.  So you might look at Servers and costs selling them.  IBM servers
(along with other companies) are driving Sun Microsystems into the ground by
utilizing Open Source software.  This gives some idea of what theory (or
human labor) provides over hardware.  Especially look at how the relative
updating cost for Sun are higher than the brand new installation of IBM
servers. Not easy comparison, but perhaps gives some insight.

Look at labor costs overseas like India for IT because that makes theory
much cheaper to use.  Because that is what you mean by theory I think is
labor costs.

You might clarify your thinking about that issue of theory versus hardware
in technology terms also.  For example, historically for a lefty what is the
path toward programming?  Writing.  What about memory in computer?  The
public libraries.

Writing -
Let's take color in magazines (being print media closely tied to traditional
typescript), which gradually increased from the 1920's onward.  Color
represents a major increase in costs and production for photographs.
Throughout the 20th century color photographs were basically just one big
frill on the ass of the printing trade.  So when we talk about computing and
web services we might ask where the sheer productive volume of writing
theory actually is merited by Web Services.  Hal Varian gives some bench
marks about the sheer volume of information being produced, tv, x-rays,
written text etc.

So the value of theory can be understood in some ways by the general
increase in the volume of produced writing.  One can take radio
transmission, tv transmission etc. as fancy sorts of writing because they
transmit words also.  Some people argue that the value of that sort of stuff
declines to near nothing in the present computing environment.  Copying
costs being just about nil as Clay Shirky would argue.  However, the value
of theory in terms of writing would the vast increase of unit volume of
writing.  And because of that a transformation of the sheer structure of
writing in some analogy like black and white photos going over to color.  We
don't exactly foresee what makes a big increase in production of information
important, because our culture never had this option.  Printing in some ways
was a big increase, but the volume increase of memory coming, Terrabyte hard
discs, allows us to think in terms of tens of thousands of movies stored to
use in theory making.  So instead of the of few kilobytes on this list,
theory would entail a gigabyte structured into meaningful writing or
whatever people will end up calling what this points at.

So in that sense I am opposed to Doug Henwood's (amongst others) view of the
economics of theory and software in Information Technology.  I think theory
can actually be looked at in terms of volume of product attached to all
volume of production in economic terms.
Doyle