Kendall Clark wrote:
> Huh? You really lost me here. My question was way simpler than that. The
> fact that the Web scales to 5B+ documents is a surprise to computer
> scientists. One of the prevailing explanations is that HTTP got smarter
> (basically, it became more cachable by intermediaries and proxies) and that
> those technical changes (the changes aren't *theoretical* or "theory", and I
> didn't imply that) were the critical change which has let the Web scale to
> 5B+ documents.

i posted this already, but i will repeat my question: could you explain
further what you mean by the "web scales to 5b+ documents"? and who are
the computer scientists who are surprised by this?

there are some interesting questions with respect to scaling and the web
-- for instance, the issue of scaling individual servers w.r.t
simultaneous access. for eg see the c10k problem/project:
http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html -- is this the sort of thing you are
talking about? but your messages are a bit confusing...

        --ravi