On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:25:03PM -0700, joanna bujes wrote:

> Computing, in general, cries out of standards and openness; capitalism
> depends upon private property, of which "intellectual" property is a
> part. So the development of computing is always pulled into these
> completely contradictory directions.

Yes, there are these tensions which pull in opposite directions; one of the
things I do as a weekly tech columnist is try to get it through the default
libertarian geek mind haze that capitalism, in fact, sucks. :>

> I'm  not clear about how much technical background you have and so I
> don't know what needs to be explained.

Well, thanks, but I wasn't asking for a technical explanation at all. I'm a
faculty researcher at UMD in this area, so I'm pretty comfortable with the
tech. I was specifically asking for pointers to economic estimates about the
amount in dollars of infrastructural investement in, say, the period from
the beginnings of the Web, say 1994 to 1995, up to its full on privatization
and the end of the dot-com craze, so roughly 2001.

Sorry, but I wouldn't dream of asking an actual computer technical question
on PEL-L or LBO. :>

Kendall