On 11 Dec 2007, at 05:12, Michael G Schwern wrote:

Adam Kennedy posed me a stumper on #toolchain tonight. In short, having a test which checks your signature doesn't appear to be an actual deterrent to tampering. The man-in-the-middle can just delete the test, or just the
SIGNATURE file since it's not required.  So why ship a signature test?

The only thing I can think of is to ensure the author that the signature they're about to ship is valid, but that's not something that needs to be shipped.
[snip]

It is something that needs to be shipped if you have the "CPAN is the definitive version of a module. Somebody can fork from it" attitude.

It certainly doesn't have to run though...

Adrian