# from Andreas J. Koenig
# on Wednesday 12 December 2007 22:58:

>Has the world changed over night? Are we now questioning tests instead
>of encouraging them? Do now suddenly authors have to justify their
>testing efforts?

If there is a way to check the signature without having a test file, I
would go with the way that has a single point of truth (and even has
knobs for the end-user to adjust.)

>Redundant are most of all tests all the time.

Similarly, the pod and pod-coverage tests.  Can we just ship the
boilerplate stuff in one place?

Again: the knobs.  If the installing user cares about pod coverage,
they'll turn it on.  As for the "well, that makes the module fail",
META.yml (or extra_testing.yml) should suffice to say "I test my
pod", "My pod is covered", and similar sorts of things -- then the
knobs are set to either always skip, conditionally run the tests, or
run the tests anyway, (but it is nice to know whether they're expected
to pass.)

--Eric
--
The only thing that could save UNIX at this late date would be a new $30
shareware version that runs on an unexpanded Commodore 64.