On Thursday 04 September 2008 08:30:19 Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Sorry, but paying attention is the author's job. A fail is something that
> should be fixed, period, regardless of the number of them.

My job is editor, not programmer.  Also novelist -- but again, not programmer.
Certainly not CPAN programmer.

I volunteer as a programmer, but your goals don't automatically become my
goals because you want them to become my goals.  They only become my goals if
we reach some sort of contractual arrangement with mutual consideration, and
then only for the scope of the contract.

Paying attention is not my job.  Releasing software I've written under a free
and open license does not instill in me the obligation to jump whenever a
user snaps his or her fingers.

I may do so because I take the quality and utility of my software seriously,
but do not mistake that for anything which may instill in you any sort of
entitlement.  That is an excellent way not to get what you want from me.

> I don't like this:  failure by any other name would smell just as bad. In
> other words, if an end user is not going to have a happy, functional
> module after typing install Foo::Bar at the CPAN prompt, this is a failure
> that should be noted as such and fixed by the author.

Then CPAN Testers reports should come with login instructions so that I can
resurrect decade-old skills and perform system administration to fix broken
installations and configurations -- oh, and as you say, a truly *modern*
reporting system should publish these logins and passwords publicly in
syndication feeds.

(I do see a couple of problems with that idea, however.)

I fail to understand the mechanism by which CPAN Testers has seemingly removed
the ability of testers to report bugs to the correct places.  For example,
consider Shlomi's earlier message suggesting that a misconfigured CPAN
configuration (caused by a bug in CPAN.pm) was the cause of FAIL reports for
one of Shlomi's distributions.  (I saw and responded to a similar report
earlier this week.)

Yes, there was a bug and yes, it's important to get it fixed.

However, by what possible logic can you conclude that the appropriate way to
get that bug fixed is to report it to people who, given all of the
information detected automatically, *do not* maintain CPAN.pm?

"Oh," perhaps you think, "it's easy for them to read the reports and diagnose
the problem remotely on machines they have never seen before, did not
configure, and cannot probe -- and it's so easy for them to file a bug in the
right place!"  If you don't think that, precisely what *do* you think to
produce such a bold assertion that it is Shlomi's job to install and
reconfigure a new version of CPAN.pm for a CPAN Tester -- or for that matter,
everyone with a misconfigured version of CPAN.pm which contains this bug?

It's not my "job" to fix bugs in *my own* distributions.  I do it because I
care about quality and, contrary to what appears to be near-universal belief
around here, I care that people can use my code.

It is most assuredly not my "job" to fix bugs in distributions I've never
maintained, nor report bugs in distributions I may not use, nor report bugs I
haven't encountered and diagnosed myself.

(The parallels to challenge-response email systems amuse me.)

> Thanks for raising it. I honestly feel the problem is not with the testers
> or the testing service, but the authors. But perhaps I'm still grumpy from
> the slew of modules I've come across on CPAN lately that are popular yet
> obviously unmaintained, with bug reports, questions, and unapplied patches
> that linger in the RT queues for years. It would be nice if we had some
> sort of system that tracked and reported on that.

Besides rt.cpan.org?

-- c