On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:19:26PM -0400, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I recognize that CPAN is a volunteer effort, but it does seem to me there
> is a implicit responsibility on the part of the author to maintain the
> module going forward, or to pass the baton to someone else. Call it a Best

Is there an easy central visible way to flag up a module as "up for adoption"?
What should have been the right list to ask that question on?

> Practice, if you will. The end-user simply wants the module to work.
> Maintainers not paying attention, and the subsequent bitrot that is
> appearing on CPAN, is one of Perl's biggest problems at the moment.
> Careful attention and responsiveness to CPAN testers and to rt.cpan.org is
> the best cure for this.

Alternatively, I could just not upload code to CPAN, and not have this
problem. You're right that it's a problem. I'm not convinced that your
cure will work with all real world volunteers.

Nicholas Clark