Peter Scott wrote:

> I don't want to be in the -io discussion; I just want to know the
> conclusions that might affect -language.  It seems silly to discuss
> command-line options for setting $| here if there isn't going to be a $|.

Ok, read this thread (4 messages long):

http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-io@perl.org/msg00094.html

This is a succinct summary of the basic conclusions thus far:

   1. a default filehandle IS needed sometimes, but only
      for stuff like print

   2. $|, $\, $/, etc will probably go away entirely in
      favor of object methods such as $handle->autoflush

That's the current thinking. As always, this is subject to change.
However, most everyone seems to agree that "having global $| vars that
aren't really global but actually depend on what the currently selected
filehandle is which depends on what select() was called on" is bad. So,
setting stuff like autoflush will probably be object methods only.
Setting stuff like the default for print will probably still be via the
default filehandle.

-Nate