I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me or not.

The context was the statment that $STDOUT is the _default_ filehandle.
I was pointing out that by _overriding_ the instantaneous meaning of
$STDOUT to the default fail handle, one would lose the immediate
access to the previous value.

I.e. $STDOUT should always mean one and only one file at a time.

Unless one wants to have a $DEFAULT filehandle and get rid of single
arg select.

<chaim>

--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183