On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:28:33PM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 12:57:46PM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> >    1. a default filehandle IS needed sometimes, but only
> >       for stuff like print
>
> Well, I think that C<print> should always print to $PERL::STDOUT (or
> whatever we call it) always; same with C<printf()>.  I'd hardly call that
> "default" though.
However, that is exactly what the current thinking on perl6-language-io is.
Specificly, the current value of $STDOUT in the current context.  That's all
that's meant by the default filehandle in the New Perl Order.  (It's in the
air at present whether the puncuation varables will continue as a way to set
stuff for all filehandles that havn't had stuff explicitly set for them, if
there will be some other method for that, or if doing that won't be
supported at all.)

        -=- James Mastros

        -=- James Mastros