At 07:06 PM 2/9/2001 +0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
> > Perl's internals are notoriously grubby; it's been understood for years
> that
> > the language's implementation needs to be rewritten from scratch, but an
> > attempt in 1999 failed and another seems presently stalled.
>
>If that other is Perl 6, I don't think we're stalled, are we? Language design
>is waiting on Larry to produce the spec, and internals design is going on
>quietly but steadily. We're in the design stage. That'll probably last a
>while because scripting languages and interpreters aren't easy things to
>design, and are even harder to get right.

Yes, but you see, we're not generating code. All the rest of the stuff is
irrelevant, and Real Hackers don't need to design--it's all self-evident.
Besides, you only need to design if you're building one of those Cathedral
thingies, and we all know how bad those are. (If you need to reach higher,
the correct method is, of course, to add another layer of tents on top of
the previous one)

                                        Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk