Dana - Yes, extending the length of time helps a great deal.  Thermal control
(as per Tom Strang, Mary Lou Florian and others) has proved to be very
successful.  Most of my personal experience is with natural history collections
- not with archives. These are not nearly as dense as archives. It will take
time to get the internal temperature of the boxes down to critical
temperatures.  Even with the collections that I have dealt with we often use
the rule of thumb of 2 weeks in the freezer - just in case (It is difficult to
monitor the interior of many objects and specimens to verify the temperature).
And we freeze once then monitor - less stress on our specimens than the double
freeze method.  We always double bag the specimens.  This significantly reduces
moisture loss.  The initial shock to the artifact is the freezing process.  The
faster the freeze the better.  But once the object is frozen it can stay there
for what ever length of time you want.  The next shock is when you remove it
from the freezer.

At my former museum we processed our entire study skin and osteological
collection in this manner to mitigate a known dermestid and moth infestation
prior moving it to a new storage facility.  That was 12 years ago.  The storage
area is still pest free - nothing survived with no damage to the specimens. It
took time because we were using a walk in freezer and could only do so much at
a time.

You can also reduce the temperature more - we generally aim for -20 deg. C.,
but colder is ok. (my entomologist uses much colder for a shorter period of
time due to the situation in the lab. He has tested this extensively and it
works.  Remember pinned bugs are not at all densely packed  - they freeze
immediately with in minutes).

As Tom mentions, different species have different tolerances to cold - but the
method works!  I refer you to Tom Strangs work at CCI. He has also published
critical temperatures for specific pest species.

Good Luck!
gretchen