From: Tom.Strang <tom.str...@pch.gc.ca>
To: pestlist <pestlist@museumpests.net>
Sent: Mon, Mar 12, 2012 2:37 pm
Subject: Re: [pestlist] Freezer Trucks

o post to this list send it as an email to pestlist@museumpests.net
o unsubscribe please look at the footer of this email.

ear Dana,
You should not be disappointed with your low temperature  treatment.
 assume a record box is roughly 16 inches long, 12 inches wide and 10
nches high. Your email indicates they were stacked as walls. I assume they
ere stacked sides-abutting to make them more stable leaving a wall 16
nches thick.  With close packed organic, akin to bales of agricultural
roduct, your stack will have a  time to thermal half change in about one
ay+.  72F degrees is 21C. -15 F is -26C, more than adequate to kill pest
nsects so not achieving -20F (-28C) is not a concern as -20C is quite
ufficient for a week. The fact you achieved -26C from 21C means you
ropped 47C in 4 days,  about a time to half change of a day (remember the
rog jumping half down a log, then half again.. when does the frog jump off
he log puzzle). Were you at 5F at two days? if so you were pretty much
pot on what can be estimated from the chart I published in 1994, and is
vailable in the  CCI TB29 and on our website (find "ten agents  pests").
old them at your -15F setpoint and you will have had an efficacious
reatment unless there was thermal bridging from the bottom of the van into
he base of the stack. If they were on pallets, and air circulated under,
ll should be well.
http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/caringfor-prendresoindes/articles/10agents/chap06-eng.aspx
Cheers,
incerely,
om Strang
Canadian Conservation Institute | Institut canadien de conservation
enior Conservation Scientist | Scientifique principal en conservation
nstitut Canadien de Conservation | Canadian Conservation Institute
ttawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0M5
tom.str...@pch.gc.ca
éléphone | Telephone 613-998-3721 (extension 239)
élécopieur | Facsimile 613-998-4721
éléimprimeur (sans frais) 1-888-997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free)
-888-997-3123

rom:    dana senge <dkse...@gmail.com>
o:      pestlist@museumpests.net
ate:    03/10/2012 08:50 PM
ubject: [pestlist] Freezer Trucks
ent by: ad...@museumpests.net

o post to this list send it as an email to pestlist@museumpests.net
o unsubscribe please look at the footer of this email.
e recently tried using a freezer truck to process a large number of
oxes of archives.  Record boxes were stacked in rows with 12" gaps
etween the rows to allow for air circulation.  We placed a datalogger
n the center of one of the boxes of archive materials (in the center
f the truck) and another outside the boxes to measure the temperature
f the air in the truck box.  The results were surprising.
We had been informed that the truck would go down to -20 degrees F in
 hours.  Our data loggers showed that it took 10 hours for the air in
he truck to go from 44 degrees F to -15 degrees F, and the
emperature inside one of the record boxes took ~96 hours to drop from
0 degrees to -15 degrees.  (The boxes had been in a 72 degree
nvironment before being placed in the truck box).  It appears that
he starting temperature of the boxes of paper was more difficult to
educe than I expected.  And the truck never achieved the desired
emperature.
We are very disappointed in these initial results and are trying to
igure out if there is a different  strategy for using a freezer
ruck, or if this is just not feasible for freezing densely packed
aterials, such as paper packed in a record box.  We are discussing
acking boxes half full and packing the truck to allow for even more
ir circulation.  But it seems that getting to the goal of -20 degrees
 in 4 hours may not be feasible.
Does anyone have any positive experiences working with a freezer truck
or processing a large quantity of materials?  Especially dense
aterials such as wood or boxes of paper?

hanks,
Dana Senge
ssistant Conservator
ational Park Service
ntermountain Region Museum Services Program
ucson, AZ 85745
20-791-6432
ana_se...@nps.gov

o change to the DIGEST mode send an