Dear Dana,

You should not be disappointed with your low temperature  treatment.
I assume a record box is roughly 16 inches long, 12 inches wide and 10
inches high. Your email indicates they were stacked as walls. I assume they
were stacked sides-abutting to make them more stable leaving a wall 16
inches thick.  With close packed organic, akin to bales of agricultural
product, your stack will have a  time to thermal half change in about one
day+.  72F degrees is 21C. -15 F is -26C, more than adequate to kill pest
insects so not achieving -20F (-28C) is not a concern as -20C is quite
sufficient for a week. The fact you achieved -26C from 21C means you
dropped 47C in 4 days,  about a time to half change of a day (remember the
frog jumping half down a log, then half again.. when does the frog jump off
the log puzzle). Were you at 5F at two days? if so you were pretty much
spot on what can be estimated from the chart I published in 1994, and is
available in the  CCI TB29 and on our website (find "ten agents  pests").
Hold them at your -15F setpoint and you will have had an efficacious
treatment unless there was thermal bridging from the bottom of the van into
the base of the stack. If they were on pallets, and air circulated under,
all should be well.

http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/caringfor-prendresoindes/articles/10agents/chap06-eng.aspx

Cheers,
Sincerely,
Tom Strang

Canadian Conservation Institute | Institut canadien de conservation
Senior Conservation Scientist | Scientifique principal en conservation
Institut Canadien de Conservation | Canadian Conservation Institute
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0M5

tom.str...@pch.gc.ca
Téléphone | Telephone 613-998-3721 (extension 239)
Télécopieur | Facsimile 613-998-4721
Téléimprimeur (sans frais) 1-888-997-3123 | Teletypewriter (toll-free)
1-888-997-3123