From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[mailto:pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of
csra...@bol.com.br
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:56 PM
To: Pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] FFI in 1.1

<blatant warning>
Due the way I envisage using Pharo I have stakes in these matter¹.  Please read
with a grain of salt.
</blatant warning>

I think the 'interpretation' of Stef's question is being different from person
to person.  The issue Wilhelm brings it seems to me more of "what priority we
give to have FFI working".

Putting it as part of core IMHO has more chances of having it prioritized as we
think in the release of 1.1 that if we leave it as a package, because it may be
still broken and 1.1 may be called ready for shipping.

I also do agree that FFI is infrastructure and as such has to be seen as core,
and since the ability to have Pharo more useful depends on the possibility to
use a lot of code we are not able (in some case even not willing to) to rewrite
in Pharo Smalltalk, I vote to have it as default and strive to have it working
as soon as possible.

my 0.01999...

--
Cesar Rabak

[1] If you're curious, I'm interested in seeing R http://www.r-project.org/
working with Pharo (at least as Martin Rubi's smallRApi for Dolphin)