+1

On 25 Apr 2010, at 12:12, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

yes communication with C library. so this is just a tool too.

Exactly. It is a tool. Not a dev tool in my opinion.In such way, SqueakDBX is also a tool. A tool to persist in a relational database.

Mariano FFI/ALIEN is ***REALLY*** important to get the possibility to call and write code in smalltalk as mentioned by john so this is more central (closer to core) than openDBX or refactoring browser. Look at lua... why lua is cool because he can be embeded seamlessly in C and call C. So if we do not put pressure on FFI to support callback well or ALIEN then we will stay this language that has problem to interact with the outside world. This is why having FFI in pharo-dev is important. We should be able to call mac native menu. Of course we should pay attention that we rely too much on C library but the world is getting more complex and writing everything in smalltalk is also costly. Not FFI/ALIEN can reduce our dependency to C compilation and C-writing so this is already
an important step.
Am I clear?

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu