Yup, the vinyl modern records are made from has been around way longer than
Victor picture discs, and BFGoodrich got it to be fully functional in 1926, see
below:
PVC was accidentally discovered at least twice in the 19th century, first in
1835 by Henri Victor Regnault and in 1872 by Eugen Baumann. On both occasions
the polymer appeared as a white solid inside flasks of vinyl chloride that had
been left exposed to sunlight. In the early 20th century the Russian chemist
Ivan Ostromislensky and Fritz Klatte of the German chemical company
Griesheim-Elektron both attempted to use PVC (polyvinyl chloride) in commercial
products, but difficulties in processing the rigid, sometimes brittle polymer
blocked their efforts. Waldo Semon and the B.F. Goodrich Company developed a
method in 1926 to plasticize PVC by blending it with various additives. The
result was a more flexible and more easily processed material that soon
achieved widespread commercial use.
Wiki can be a wonderful (if not reliably trustworthy) thing!