I was surprised a few years ago to see that RCA used Vinyl on their LP
discs of the early thirties. In many places, the material for those Program
Transcriptions was identified as "Victrolite" whatever that was supposed to
have been. But, I have the RCA Victor dealer fact book from 1932, where the
Long Playing records were anounced, and they said that the discs were made
of "Vinylite". It's really interesting how vinyl plastics ahve been around,
in one form or another.

than Victor picture discs, and BFGoodrich got it to be fully functional in
1926, see below:
> PVC was accidentally discovered at least twice in the 19th century, first
in 1835 by Henri Victor Regnault and in 1872 by Eugen Baumann. On both
occasions the polymer appeared as a white solid inside flasks of vinyl
chloride that had been left exposed to sunlight. In the early 20th century
the Russian chemist Ivan Ostromislensky and Fritz Klatte of the German
chemical company Griesheim-Elektron both attempted to use PVC (polyvinyl
chloride) in commercial products, but difficulties in processing the rigid,
sometimes brittle polymer blocked their efforts. Waldo Semon and the B.F.
Goodrich Company developed a method in 1926 to plasticize PVC by blending
it with various additives. The result was a more flexible and more easily
processed material that soon achieved widespread commercial use.
> Wiki can be a wonderful (if not reliably trustworthy) thing!
>

> > From: esrobe...@hotmail.com
> > To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
> > Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:49:04 +0000
> > Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Really Vinyl?
> >

> > I think the Victor picture discs had something more durable than what
the HotW discs used.  It's like a clear/hazy vinyl surface, easy to see and
get a feel for if you have a broken Victor PD.  Vinyl certainly existed in
the 30's, didn't it?

> > > From: maxbu...@wowway.com
> > > To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:42:03 -0600
> > > Subject: [Phono-L] Really Vinyl?
> > >
> > > I was under the impression that vinyl came along some time after
picture
> > > discs came on the scene. I always thought they were laminated with
Durium,