Henrik,

all of the references I'm aware of are based on Python.

the standard Python library includes modules called asyncore and asynchat
(sections 17.5 and 17.6 of the Python documentation.

The original Asyncronous webserver (as far as I'm aware) is medusa
http://www.nightmare.com/medusa/
http://www.amk.ca/python/code/medusa

Twisted is a more mature (read complex) implementation of the same
thing. At this stage i belive they have reimplemented everything and
don't even use the standard asyncore module anymore.

I use teisted at work and from the application developers point of
view the system allows complex applications to be built in very neat
small peices.  The approach has the advantage of not having the same
kind of concurrency issues as threaded code has.

By definition asyncronous code is only doing one thing at a time, so
there is no danger of two functions accessing the same data objects at
the same time, without the need for stemapors or locks. I believe that
the Erlang language uses a similer approach to implement its light
weight processes, and it allows them to scale to thousands of
processes.

regards

Konrad