I'm working with picolisp and emacs, also using the older picolisp-mode which comes with the picolisp distribution (the official upstream one from http://software-lab.de/down.html).

I greatly enjoy using paredit, which works well.
I have not tried out the other emacs modules for picolisp, and I don't know if the one in MELPA works well with paredit, which I see as the essential feature for an emacs picolisp-mode.

The one coming with the picolisp distribution has some flaws: some newer built-ins are not known by the syntax highlighting, paredit treats (;) similar to CommonLisp comment, I didn't get Ctrl+K working(picolisp source/definition lookup, see picolisp in vim or vip. But those never bothered me enough that I srsly wanted to do something about it.
I'm happy as it is.

If the MELPA package supports paredit and the other features of the picolisp-mode coming with picolisp, ideally by also supporting the nice tools from the vim/vip editors, then I would support to replace the mode in picolisp with the MELPA, so to have one unified emacs package for picolisp.

If nobody is to be found to ensure that for the MELPA package, then I would just leave it as it is now. Different users might find different versions, but I would not consider it impossible or even difficult to get to the things you want. In the end everyone should use whatever fits that person the best, we don't need one way to rule them all.

- beneroth