On 05/08/2018 07:05 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On May 8, 2018, at 18:48, John SJ Anderson <j...@genehack.org> wrote:

I suspect the plea for counsel was more intended for David, but I’ll pipe up
from the peanut gallery and say, “why not both?” It seems like the ideal thing
to put under a feature flag.

Actually, I wasn't thinking specifically of him.

I’m sorry, I’ve lost all context on this thread after two years. What’s it for
again? Flag sounds okay, but better is to use =encoding.

This is a new module started by John, to extract the pod portions from say a .pm. I think he said he thought he got about 80% of it done. Now I'm completing it. It requires hooks in BlackBox and other .pm's to enable it to really work.

Of course, that just changes this decision into “which one should be the
default and which one should need to be enabled?”, but perhaps thinking about
it in those terms will make it more clear which has the higher utility value?

Yeah, whichever is going to be more valuable for your intended audience.

The intended audience is me initially. So I've decided to write it for my use, which wants the results in ASCII or UTF-8.

I think this is as much as I'm prepared to chew on for now, and if someone else wishes to extend it in the future to have the option John suggested, I agree it would be nice, and don't think it would be very hard.