On 05/13/2016 12:24 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On May 13, 2016, at 11:03 AM, Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> wrote:

If we wanted to be cute, we could call it Pod::Simple::SimplyPod, with you
know, only one, natural, ingredient, and no harmful additives.

But is it organic? Or Biodynamic?

The marketing term Biodynamic doesn't seem to have survived the test of time, at least in my corner of Trumpistan.

So, I converted the name to JustPod, and am trying to finish that up.
I had to suspend work on it a couple of years ago, and am just now able to get back to it.

Changes to BlackBox were needed.

I left it mostly working, and foolishly didn't leave notes to myself about what else was needed, so now I'm working on test files in the distribution to make sure that the pod extraction is working. We have a bunch of files in the t/corpus directory, and I can see how well this works on each of them.

One thing that might not ever be precise is retaining the file's white space, as opposed to squeezing out unnecessary strings of multiple ones to just one blank.

And I'm running into something that I know I had not previously gotten as far as (which is encouraging), and I'm writing now for counsel.

What to do about input files that are encoded in some alien encoding, like Japanese 2202? The Pod::Simple docs say it translates the pod into perl's internal representation. But should the extracted pod also be in perl's representation, or should it be translated back to the original encoding? The second way would be a way to really extract the pod portions of the original.

But I'm thinking it should be perl's, so that downstream modules can use it as-is. But I'm open to other reasoned opinions