HI Eliot,
Thanks for that report. I've updated the website and changed statistics.cpp in git master so that it now compiles on Cygwin. I'll backport that to fixes-5.8 once it's had a bit of testing.

Trying to support Poly/ML on Cygwin has always been a bit of a problem. If possible it's better to use the native Windows versions. There are ways to build it yourself from source using Visual Studio or Msys or there is an installer available on GitHub. Another alternative is to use Linux Subsystem for Windows.

Regards,
David