On 28/03/2019 11:37, Eliot Moss wrote:

> My whole setup on my laptop is Cygwin based.  If I can use Cygwin
> HOL4 and Windows polyml, that would be ok, but I can also imagine
> a number of ways that would break, particularly around handling
> filenames ...  What do you think?

We used to have Cygwin for Isabelle over many years, but more recently
the underlying Poly/ML has become native Windows: it is more stable and
more scalable.

Here are some notes on how to build Poly/ML with MinGW (using a rather
old version of gcc/g++):

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/9c634887be9e/Admin/polyml/INSTALL-MinGW

The main build process is described in Scala here:
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/9c634887be9e/src/Pure/Admin/build_polyml.scala

Here are some ML operations to standardize file names (wrt. Cygwin
notation for drive letters, not MinGW):

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/9c634887be9e/src/Pure/ML/ml_system.ML

Here is a portable way to invoke Cygwin GNU bash from ML:
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/9c634887be9e/src/Pure/System/bash.ML

For $ISABELLE_BASH_PROCESS use this little C program:
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/9c634887be9e/Admin/bash_process/bash_process.c

So while Poly/ML is running as native Windows application, the
surrounding system environment is that of Cygwin (shell etc.).

        Makarius