I was doing some performance comparisons and found what looks like a bug in
Poly/ML
when compiled with —enable-compact32bit. The problem is that ML code that
runs to completion when compiled to use native 64 bit addresses, raises Overflow
when compiled to 32 bit addressing. The code is a lengthy proof search
that explores in excess of 4,000,000,000 blind alleys. It takes about
10 to 20 minutes to find the proof when using 64 bit addressing
and it takes 2 or 3 minutes before it raises Overflow when using 32 bit
addressing.

I don’t really know where to start with narrowing the problem down. I’ve
attached a tarball
containing cutdown source that demonstrates the problem, but the mailing list
software will likely strip it off, hence CC to David.

Regards,

Rob.