What works:
* Playing audio through the local Unix domain socket.
    esd &
    esdplay foo.wav

What doesn't work:

* Playing over the network.
    esd -tcp &
    esdplay -s localhost foo.wav
  This terminates immediately without sound.  I've tried a number
  of variations: using ESPEAKER instead of -s, using the numeric
  address 127.0.0.1, specifying port 16001, adding -promiscuous
  when starting esd, removing ~/.esd_auth.  None of this has any
  effect.  ktracing esdplay shows that it reads ~/.esd_auth, writes
  the contents to a network socket, and exits.

* I can't get a startup beep.
    esd -beeps
  Doesn't beep.  I know -nobeeps is very popular, but when testing
  it's nice to have confirmation that audio is actually routed to
  your speakers/headphones.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de