Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Simone Felici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Hi Postfix-Users!
>>
>> I know, there is enough written on the net and on the mailinglist too, but
>> have found only old results, maybe the meanwhile something is different,
>> also I would ask you...
>> Which filesystem do you use on your mailserver?
>> I'm going to migrate a mailserver with EXT3 (and qmail) to a new postfix
>> mailserver (virtual domains on mysql, ...).
>> I would create the system on EXT3 (RHES) and the following partitions on
>> rieserfs:
>>

> I would never use reiserfs for anything except our disposable Squid
> Cache. Stay with ext3, it works.

But ext3 does have problems -

All our production boxes are 100% reiserfs, and have been for some
years, based on performance testing. They have been rock solid, and most
of them have 800 day uptimes at this point. I did some performance
comparisons a few months ago and reiser still has a large lead over
ext3. As reiser has always been the default filesystem on suse
enterprise linux, it stands to reason that it has been well vetted.

Of course, the legal woes of the reiserfs creator have put the future of
the filesystem in doubt. The future seems to be btrfs. ext4 might be a
good stepping stone along the way, when it's ready, but if I had to pick
a filesystem to deploy today, it would be reiserfs - xfs could get some
consideration as well, but we just really don't want the performance hit
that comes with ext3.

Joe