Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 03:53:30PM +0100, Simone Felici wrote:
>

>>> I've also hear people who have had nightmares with ext3...
>>>
>>> No filesystem is perfect.
>>>
>> No filesystem is perfect, that's certainty so.
>>

> Sure, no filesystem exhibits *optimal* performance under all work-loads,
> but in terms of data integrity, I expect and demand *perfection*. Perhaps
> no Linux filesystem is mature/stable enough to meet this standard,
> but do not accept less than perfect data integrity from your filesystem:
>
>     - Barring memory corruption, or I/O bus errors, ... the filesystem
>       is always recoverable at boot time and no files changes committed
>       with fsync() are lost.
>
>     - Boot time recovery rolls incomplete operations forward or back
>     as appropriate, and brings the filesystem into a consistent state.
>
> Past reports of ReiserFS on this list indicate that it falls short
> of reasonable (i.e. perfect) data integrity expectations.

Disk hardware failures, early kernel bugs, vendor issues, all could be
reasons for such reports. I did see some reiserfs problems some years
ago under redhat, but that was an old 2.4 kernel, redhat didn't
officially support reiserfs, and it's no longer relevant IMHO.

I will say this much: reiserfs, as shipped in suse enterprise linux, on
a 2.6 kernel, has performed flawlessly in our data center, running with
lots of disk I/O on a 24/7 basis. We have had power outages, but have
never lost a single bit on reiserfs

Joe