On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Randy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joe Sloan wrote:
>>
>> Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

>>> I would never use reiserfs for anything except our disposable Squid
>>> Cache. Stay with ext3, it works.
>>>

>> But ext3 does have problems -
>> All our production boxes are 100% reiserfs, and have been for some
>> years, based on performance testing. They have been rock solid, and most
>> of them have 800 day uptimes at this point. I did some performance
>> comparisons a few months ago and reiser still has a large lead over
>> ext3. As reiser has always been the default filesystem on suse
>> enterprise linux, it stands to reason that it has been well vetted.
>>
>> Of course, the legal woes of the reiserfs creator have put the future of
>> the filesystem in doubt. The future seems to be btrfs. ext4 might be a
>> good stepping stone along the way, when it's ready, but if I had to pick
>> a filesystem to deploy today, it would be reiserfs - xfs could get some
>> consideration as well, but we just really don't want the performance hit
>> that comes with ext3.
>>
>> Joe
>>

> But it also is one of the most used and tested file systems for Linux. We
> also used reiserfs under Suse and had so many problems with it in an iscsi
> SAN environment. I can remember 2-3 full 6 hour recoveries had to be done
> with lost data as the prize in the end and this for the mailserver only. We
> had several servers with fs corruption to the point I preached against using
> reiserfs and they finally listened. Switched to ext3, on all servers which I
> wanted to do for years, and haven't had an issue yet except one fsck that
> was performed and it did not loose data. Even if you want the fastest
> filesystem for your needs, what is the true bandwidth you are seeing
> currently? What is your iowait? I bet it isn't really isn't that much
> overall where reiserfs vs ext3 vs whatever will make a huge improvement.

How long ago was that?  I had the precise problem and had been told
that particular bug has been fixed. My problems were ~5 years ago.
Except that I'm never going to use it anyway because I just can't
force myself to trust it.  I've used Postfix under ext3, ffs(openbsd),
ufs(solaris) and never had a single problem with any of them.  ext3
gets the bonus for being (I think) the only one of those to be
journaled.

-B