I am using Postfix to replace an existing  email system, and I am
inheriting usernames that are in uppercase. Apparently Postfix
converts all email addresses to lowercase, so I cannot receive mail to
the accounts that are in uppercase. This surprised me, because the
linux user accounts are in uppercase.

After googling around, it looks like I need to use a canonical map,
which I have not been able to get working properly.

I added this to my /etc/postfix/main.cf:

   canonical_maps = dbm:/etc/postfix/canonical

Then I created the /etc/postfix/canonical file:

   sudo vi /etc/postfix/canonical

     jim123 JIM123

Then I generated the map:

   sudo postmap /etc/postfix/canonical

Then restarted postfix:

   sudo /etc/init.d/postfix restart

When I email JIM123, or replay to an email sent by JIM123, it does not
get back to JIM123. Different things happen as I try different
solutions, usually the emails bounce back to the sender. Othertimes
they disappear.

I am mostly curious if my above approach is the correct one. My users
are use to using to the uppercase names, so I would like them to be
able to log in to squirrelmail using uppercase names, and send/receive
emails with uppercase names. I am assuming making the underlying linux
account uppercase is the right thing to do.

Any suggestions? (I'm new to Postfix)