On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
> Bryan Irvine wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Xn Nooby <xno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am using Postfix to replace an existing  email system, and I am
>>> inheriting usernames that are in uppercase. Apparently Postfix
>>> converts all email addresses to lowercase, so I cannot receive mail to
>>> the accounts that are in uppercase. This surprised me, because the
>>> linux user accounts are in uppercase.
>>
>> Probably the easiest solution would be to write a script to create
>> aliases in lower case.
>>
>> -Bryan
>

> No, that won't fix the problem.
>
> The best solution is to not use upper-case usernames.
>
> If that's not possible, the other solutions are:
> a) patch postfix local delivery agent to not force lowercase during
> delivery.
> b) use something other than the postfix local delivery agent.  Maybe
> maildrop or procmail...
>
> --
> Noel Jones

I created an /etc/postfix/aliases file containing:
   jim123: JIM123

Then I ran "newaliases", but it did not seem to work.

I can try procmail, but I am also new to procmail. Yesterday I used
procmail for the first time, and was able to divert  mailing list
emails in to subfolders.  This required me to create a .procmailrc in
my user account.  Are you suggesting a "global" procmail script that
would put the emails in to their appropriate user directories?  I
assume I could not use local procmail scripts, since my problem is I
cannot resolve the lowercase username.

One good thing is, this is for a closed internal system that will
rarely change. The users are going to access their email using
Squirrelmail w/Dovecot on Ubuntu. Since the existing users are use to
seeing there names in uppercase, I want to preserver that throughout
the system.