Xn Nooby wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
Bryan Irvine wrote:
On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Xn Nooby <xno...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using Postfix to replace an existing  email system, and I am
inheriting usernames that are in uppercase. Apparently Postfix
converts all email addresses to lowercase, so I cannot receive mail to
the accounts that are in uppercase. This surprised me, because the
linux user accounts are in uppercase.
Probably the easiest solution would be to write a script to create
aliases in lower case.

-Bryan

No, that won't fix the problem.

The best solution is to not use upper-case usernames.

If that's not possible, the other solutions are:
a) patch postfix local delivery agent to not force lowercase during
delivery.
b) use something other than the postfix local delivery agent.  Maybe
maildrop or procmail...

--
Noel Jones

I created an /etc/postfix/aliases file containing:
   jim123: JIM123

Then I ran "newaliases", but it did not seem to work.

Right.

I can try procmail, but I am also new to procmail. Yesterday I used
procmail for the first time, and was able to divert  mailing list
emails in to subfolders.  This required me to create a .procmailrc in
my user account.  Are you suggesting a "global" procmail script that
would put the emails in to their appropriate user directories?  I
assume I could not use local procmail scripts, since my problem is I
cannot resolve the lowercase username.

Sorry, I don't use procmail, so I can't guide you there.
Since you're using dovecot, you also might be able to use the dovecot "deliver" delivery agent.

Here's some documentation intended for maildrop, but the same general setup should work with other delivery agents.
http://www.postfix.org/MAILDROP_README.html#direct

One good thing is, this is for a closed internal system that will
rarely change. The users are going to access their email using
Squirrelmail w/Dovecot on Ubuntu. Since the existing users are use to
seeing there names in uppercase, I want to preserver that throughout
the system.

Upper case user names are evil. You will be forever haunted by them. Switch now.

I see that Wietse has suggested:
1) Create lower-case UNIX password file entries with the same
numerical UID and GID fields as the upper-case names, and with a
"*" password.
This may be a workable option for you.

--
Noel Jones