Hi Dave,

comments inline. :)

Am 20.07.2012 um 23:25 schrieb Dave Reynolds:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I completely agree with what you say about:
>  o Harish's original post being relevant to linked data and this list
>  o that the culture of this forum can be counter productive
>  o that the evidence for linked data delivering business value needs
>    to be a lot stronger
>
> However, just to balance the picture slightly ...
>
> There are *some* clear, well documented examples of semweb/RDF/LD delivering
> business value through data integration. The most famous of these being
> probably: Garlik (now Experian), Amdocs and arguably the BBC. In my
> experience for every publicised example there are several non-public or at
> least less visible examples of companies quietly using the technology
> internally while not shouting about it. I've come across examples in banking,
> publishing, travel and health care - at different levels of maturity.

Yes, for me these are all great results. However, the problem for me is
convincing other industries, and the toughest question I am always faced with
is "and why could I not solve the issue with established technology XYZ, which
my engineers already know?". As long as we cannot answer this question, it will
not be easy.

> Not saying the business value story is perfectly articulated or the evidence
> is watertight, but it's not totally absent :)
>
> While it's not your main point, I would also say we have reasonable arguments
> for the value of linked data over just CSVs for publishing government
> statistics and measurement data. The benefits include safer use of data
> because it's self-describing (e.g. units!), ability to slice and dice through
> API calls making it easier to build apps, ability to address the data and
> thus annotate it and reference it. The more advanced government departments
> approach this as "publish once, use many". One pipeline that lets people
> access the data as dumps, through REST APIs, as Linked Data or via apps - all
> powered by a shared Linked Data infra-structure. It's not CSV or Linked Data
> it's CSV *and* Linked Data.

Yes. It was actually not really an argument from my side, I just wanted to
point out the kind of discussions I face with people out there. I totally agree
with what you say.

Greetings,

Sebastian