> Run "factor | grep operatingsystemrelease" on your client and see what
> happens.  If it doesn't give output, try "factor" by itself and see if you
> have a typo in the name for the fact.

Erm, that's "facter operatingsystemrelease" or just "facter" :-)
Factor is a helpful tool, but not here and now.

> I would guess that it's not giving a version number, or giving one different
> from what you expect.

Quite possible. Note that facts can be different between different
versions of facter (don't get me started on the old lsbdistid etc.)

However, I suspect your error is rooted elsewhere. Hint:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/stable/function.html#versioncmp

HTH,
Felix