On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:27:05PM +0100, sa9k063 wrote:
> David T. Lewis wrote:
> >>>
> >> i can try that someday next week, the other machine has a second disk i
> >> could add swap with.
> >
> > If you are swapping to disk, you are already in trouble. Squeak will slow
> > to a crawl if it has to start swapping. Is the Squeak image growing too
> > large for some other reason perhaps?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> yes, i guess so. to see the size of the image in ram , i started it
> three hours ago with -memory 128m -mmap 512m -headless and since then it
> stays at 150MB.

The swapping issue would relate to total memory usage on your
server, and may have nothing at all to do with your Squeak application.
Are you sharing the server with other people? If so, find out what
has changed, and who or what is hogging the system resources.

> oh, just forgot: a LowSpaceDebugLog appeared, i put it on
> http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de/LowSpaceDebug.log.txt

You are starting your Squeak image with a fixed object memory
allocation (-memory 128m). The low space alert presumably means
that Squeak has used up the available object memory. Just guessing,
but this may be nothing more than a side effect of the system
swapping, hence Squeak going slower, hence perhaps not able to
keep up with things in some way. You can of course increase
the fixed allocation, or remove the -memory option entirely
to permit the VM to dynamically extend object memory. Of course
this would further aggrivate the memory swapping problem, so
you need to figure out what is going on there regardless.

Dave