> I get frustrated every time I setup a new virtualENV as I forgot that
> something always breaks.

For those using Python 2.6*, I'd like to see how much better/worse
this sollution is:

# starting from scratch, a clean slate:
wget https://svn.openplans.org/svn/pip/trunk/pip.py
chmod +x pip.py
export PYTHONUSERBASE=$HOME/myenv
export PATH=$HOME/myenv/bin:$PATH
./pip.py install --install-option=--user Pylons

You should get everything installed in $HOME/myenv/lib/python2.6/site-
packages and $HOME/myenv/bin

I've used it on linux and it never failed me. I wonder how it works on
Mac OS X and Windows (since I don't have access to those).

I do notice, that I don't get setuptools installed in the USER-BASE,
since nothing in Pylons seems to require it, but I do have a recent
version (0.6c9) installed system-wide from a distro package. Does
Pylons use it on it's own?

* This relies on the Python 2.6 feature aka pep-370:
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#pep-370-per-user-site-packages-directory