Hi all,

Thanks to especially Graham and Mike to point out what the benefit for the
"end-user-developer" (a crude term, I know ;) ) will be with the
Pylons2/Pyramid move.

When I started to read these posts, I was a bit concerned, too. I (we, my
company) have been long time Pylons users, and admittedly, we have seen more
changes in Pylons than we liked. I could understand the reasoning behind all
those changes, still, for the developer they pose a hazard in
long-term-evolution of a written app.

Some of the things I mean:

- The deprecation of rails-style webhelpers. We depend on those quite a bit
in our first application we wrote (and which is still live)
- Change in how to address a template (from "package.template" to
"package/template.mak")
- The move from implicit routes to explicit routes

And if I thought a bit more, I would probably come up with a couple of more
examples, which have been problematic for us. The problem in there is, that
there normally is no smooth upgrade path, and no backwards compatibility, so
we are stuck with supporting a 0.9.6.2, a 0.9.7 and a 1.0 pylons app by now,
as no one would pay us a money for the complete rework the older apps need,
as for the customer, it would mean very little benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I love pylons, and the first question we ask ourselves
when a new project comes in is, "Can we solve this in pylons, or do we have
to implement it with something different?", but the lack of continuity has
been a bit disheartening at times.

Still, I would really be interested in why the subclassing of WSGIController
lead Pylons in an architectional dead end, just from a curious point of view
:)

I will take a look at the new packages as soon as I get around to it, but
I'm really curious by now.

> But really, what does Pylons 1 need?  We have already rejected larger
Form/ORM/Auth dependencies.
> "@validate" needs a replacement; that's the only thing I can think of.
Maybe not the Pylons package itself (and I personally had no trouble using
@validate up to now), but one thing the whole Pylons eco system would hugely
benefit from (imo) is a database migration tool. I have looked into those
which have been announces (miraku and a couple of others), and all fall
short.

I have written something like that for ourselves, for SQLAlchemy based
projects, which takes the model, evaluates the differences between the
current model revision, and the latest from the versioning system, and
generates the appropriate SQL scripts for getting the database from the one
version to the next, without loss of data. I always hoped of releasing it to
the public at some point, but I never really had the time to get around to
it. It is stable we are using it for a couple of our projects, but it is
lacking the real hard stuff (like documentation, and things not that tied to
our own infrastructure ;) )

Regards,
Jens