Hi Greg,
Of course you are free to react !
I'm interested in understanding why you feel this would reduce engagement.
I've been testing Discourse a lot in the past years. From french spaces
around open data and numeric commons, to a first test with QGIS french user
lists.
What I have observed is :
- new users jump in more easily than with our obscure mailing list habits.
- I just don't see any usage difference once I changed my settings from the
default digest setting to "one mail per interaction"
- it is a lot easier to subscribe to a category than to subscribe in
mailman to a new mailing list.
- finding topics via search engine is so much more normal. Remember we
needed Nabble to offer this and it was not an easy experience. And Nabble
died.
- as a list administror, mailman backoffice interface does not make it
easy. It has been designed in the early stages of the web. This is so hard
to understand, read and maintain. And don't try on a phone.

On the downsides, I just had to explore notification settings and
understand how categories work a bit more than I would have expected. But a
lot less time than the numerous hours struggling with mailman admin
interfaces.

So if you have tangible ideas or facts we are really interested.  Discourse
is open source and really full of features, settings or plugins to tune it
to our needs.

Cheers
Régis