I'm not against new communication channels, but imagine the maximum benefit
would be obtained by adding a discourse channel while keeping the mailing list
channel, and perhaps reviewing use after a period of time.

And just BTW, Mailman has just completed an upgrade to a major new version so
I'd be interested to learn the basis of claims for "end of life"