On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:32:36 -0500, Phoebus Dokos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

ÎÎÎ Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:20:28 -0000,Î(Î) Rich Mellor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ÎÎÏÎÏÎ/wrote:

DISP_TYPE returns 5 on both standard smsq/e and colour driver smsq/e Yes but it does screw up other programs - such as those which have any part of their windows outside of 512x480 or those in a different resolution - have you SEEN what happens to QPaC2 when you change colour depth? Normally you end up with completely black buttons.

No you are not. If you create a TEST program you associate it with a disclaimer. People already know what they have. I am not talking about incorporating a function like that in the regular program. Even if that were the case, people would be actually requesting the colour depth change anyway (What other reason would they have for running a colour program other than actually USE colour?)

Ie. I don't see anybody trying to run QWord and switching back to Mode 4 colours do you?

I know - I guess in a test program, this would be OK. It still does not answer the question as to how QWord (or any program) should detect if high colour drivers are available.

OK so I hear you say - use the pointer interface to handle all the drawing.

However, surely a program (or machine code extension) might want to temporarily set the current ink colour (and return it to the original colour), or know whether it should be using a colour scheme based on the original QL colours, a 4 colour palette, a 256 colour palette or a 65536 colour palette. Yes it can read the current mode, but how does it know whether to use the standard QL colours via IOW.INK or to use palette colours via WM.INKP - guess if the QL is not in mode 16,32 or 33 the only solution is to ignore the four colour palette and always use IOW.INK.

This seems very confusing.... espscially since the WM.INKP trap #3 returns not implemented on non smsq/e systems running the latest PE, but WM_INK from superBASIC works

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/