On  Sun, 9 Jan 2005 at 19:14:16, Wolfgang Lenerz wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>On 9 Jan 2005 at 16:38, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
 <snip>

>Hmm sorry to add to your woes, but I have a totally different story... I took
>my digicam & digi camcorder to my recent vacations. I took picures & "films"
>of my children skiing, brought them home, plugged both in: the digicam (USB)
>was recognized as a removable disk and I just pulled all of the pictures off
>it into the laptop and was able to display them there.
>
>The camcorder was plugged in via firewire, I again just pulled everything off
>it with some (free) MS software called movie something.
>
>Both worked first time.
>
>I do admit that this was the first time I was impressed by anything windows
>related (and the family was suitably impressed).
>
>I'm probably just lucky. I didn't install any kind of driver or anything, not
>even the software that came with the devices - but it was XP SP2..
Absolutely identical situation with my Canon Powershot G5.

Incidentally, Dilwyn, you should be able to plug in the camera's storage
card into, say, a 6x1 reader and copy the photos from there.
My Canon's PCMCIA card is added automatically as a drive under XP.  This
should be the same for any standard card, needing no added drivers.

Multi input cards readers are very cheap, if your PC/laptop doesn't come
with any.

Tony

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk