And while I'm in a foul mood over another non-QL issue, will anyone
having successfully installed a Tevion MD Slimline MD 42361 USB
digital camera please contact me off list - (....)

What a sad story!

One, probably stupid, question: Do you need drivers at all?
Isn't the camera recognized (as a removable drive) as is?
On Windows 98SE, yes, because it doesn't have drivers for memory sticks and the like.

On Win XP, in theory no. In practice, you do with this camera to access the built in memory. It has a removable memory card slot, but none is supplied with the camera.

Plug it into Win9SE or WinXP and it's quickly recognised, the correct names come up in the wizard and so on. Two devices are installed, one a 'general USB device' and the other the 'MD Slimline' as the camera is called.

It finds and installs the driver for the first, then complains it can't find the second. So you do the usual with Windows and steer it arounds the various folders in an effort to help it find the device driver. Which is not found in any folder ont he CD and not provided by either Windows versions. So the camera should be seen in 'My Computer' as drive F: or whatever drive letter is assigned. So what you end up with is half an installation which prompts you to add the rest every time you restart the PC but which you can't remove as it has not made it into the Add/Remove lists in Windows and the supplied uninstallation program won't remove the half installation program. The worst, most frustrating result possible.

The only possibility I can think of is that it won't work without the SD/MMC card - you have to buy that extra perhaps, but not according to the manual. It actually says that if you want to access photos in the camera's own memory you have to take out the SD/MMC card. Which implies that the internal memory should be recognised by itself. Certainly, both computers correctlyrecognised the camera as two devices (which is correct) but annoyingly got the first one right and failed with the second one leaving the same half finished mess on both PCs - most strange, you'd expect total failure or total success.