Did the printer need a CD to install it or did it, upon attaching to
your computer, install itself. If the latter, then it definitely has PCL
drivers.
CD.

In QPC2 setup there is a section on printers. Select the HP printer to
the port that you want to use and then set the printer drivers to also
work to the same port.

After that, if you are using, for instance, Text 87 make sure that
'para' or 'para2' is used which will connect through to the parallel
port you have selected in the QPC2 Setup.

I hope that this makes sense,
Done all that. It works OK as long as I don't reopen a printer channel.

Loss of previous settings upon reopening a channel. An irritating "feature" of this particular printer it seems - it seems to reset itself to a "known state" when Windows or anything else opens a new stream to it.My other PC with the Epson Stylus Colour 880 behaves itself OK.

Keeping the channel open all the time works OK of course, but nothing gets printed until the channel is closed (standard QPC2 behaviour).

PARa is what I use - it helps to force HP printers to get the end of line character combinations right. I can also just use PAR and send the appropriate codes for end of line character control where necessary.

Thanks, Peter.